By this time next week I aim to be properly awake.

I’m still not back into a routine. I’m hoping that this week I finally will be.

I’ve been back from travelling for about a week, and am pretty much caught up on sleep, I think. But a couple of clients decided to change the things I do for them, which means that slipping back into my old, familiar schedule wasn’t possible.

Luckily I enjoy making schedules for myself, so I’d set one up for this week to see how it goes, and if it works, I’ll keep doing it.

One thing I’ve done is refrain from ascribing actual times to it. Each thing I have to do has a block in my day, but none of them have a specific time when I have to do them. I just have to do them in the correct order.

This is an attempt to stop myself from being hugely unproductive on days when I wake up late. One of the reasons I left an office job was so that I didn’t have to get up at arse-end-of-the-morning-o’clock, so it seems ridiculous to set alarms now if I don’t have to.

But I have found in the past that if I say I’ll start work at 8, for example, but then get up at 8.30, it throws off the whole day because I feel like it’s off to an unproductive start.

So instead now my day begins when it begins, and ends when it ends, and everything in the middle is non-negotiable.

We’ll see how this goes…

Highlights of the week included dinner with a fellow psychologist of religion. We loaded up on vegan Thai buffet options and talked about the tiny but noticeable differences between living in England and Arizona. Why do you need a whole room for your washing machine? Why do we keep it in our kitchens?

I was supposed to go to the Language Live show this weekend but I didn’t get chance. If you did, let me know how it went!

On Saturday my friend came over, ostensibly for a few hours in the afternoon, but we had some wine and forgot the time, and when we looked at the clock it was 3am, so she ended up staying on my sofa.

Sunday was a bit of a non-starter – another friend came over in the afternoon, which was nice, but other than that I didn’t really do anything beyond a bit of cleaning. Once they’d left I had a bath and a couple of calls, then I went to bed and woke up eleven hours later after having elaborate dreams about living in a tent village where the local delicacy was chickens stuffed with boiled eggs.

My mind is a strange place to be.

So, how was your week?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.