How Do You Fit It All In? #19

The latest instalment in a series in which I answer the ongoing question “How do you fit it all in?”, which people ask me when I tell them what I do.

I find it ironic that I’m writing a post about how I fit it all in this week, when I am struggling to do so. I have way too much to get done before Thursday: my mother is coming to stay, so I’m trying to get the flat into some kind of reasonable arrangement before she arrives. However I’m also working, and proofreading a book, and I’ve just taken on a new proofreading project when this one ends. And I have a literature review to do for the latest research project. So things are not straightforward.

On Monday I got up, worked for a few hours and had some client calls, then spent the rest of the day alternating between proofreading the book and rearranging the flat. I finished at 10pm and went straight to bed, where I fell into the kind of deep sleep that happens when you’ve been chucking large items of furniture around all day.

Tuesday morning. Still behind. I got up late because I was exhausted from moving crap around the flat, and then spent the day alternating between doing that and working. By evening about half my kitchen was clean. There are three other rooms in the house, plus a hallway, all of which ideally need to be done by Thursday evening. We’ll see if that happens.

Wednesday was a productive day; work went well and I managed some rearranging in between. Thursday was much less productive work-wise, with only half an hour of work done before clocking off and cleaning from 8.30am until 6pm. My mother arrived half an hour later to a flat that was at least clean-ish, and a sofabed that had been delivered an hour or so before. It looks lovely against the bay window.

Friday was taken off work; my mother and I wandered around West London and did Londoner things like going for brunch and complaining about the public transport system despite it actually being pretty reliable.

Over the weekend we mainly stayed inside, because it was pouring with rain and my mother doesn’t share my enthusiasm for wet weather. On Sunday we made it to the gym for a two-hour session, which was fun.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.