A Short Update

…because it’s 10pm and I’m still in the office. So no ramblings about what I’ve been thinking about over the last seven days; instead, here’s what I’ve been doing.

Last weekend I was catching up with a friend and she said “How are things going with your new client?” and I realised I had COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN a client. Not forgotten to add the work to my calendar. Not missed a deadline. Just completely wiped the memory of ever having spoken to the client. Like they didn’t even exist in my mind. After the conversation I went and dug out the email from my archives and then did the work, so all was well in the end, but it reminded me why I obsessively write everything down.

Monday was partly spent on work for that client; partly on signing contracts with a new employee (yay! more on that another day); and partly on calls with current clients. I was in the office all day and got home late-ish, though not as late as I’ll probably get home tonight.

I’d spent all morning on the phone to HMRC, which gave me The Grump and made me less than sparkly with one of my clients in the afternoon, but luckily we’ve been working together for ages so he knows not to take my grouchiness seriously.

On Tuesday I spent some time at the garden centre working on a manuscript for a client, and then I took myself to a rehearsal for the upcoming KOFMA concert in March. About halfway through my voice cracked and I started feeling awful, so I indulged myself with a taxi home. Normally I enjoy a late-night walk through the streets of West London, but I had that achy fluey thing going on which is never fun.

I woke up on Wednesday morning still not feeling stellar, so I worked from bed all day, which I hadn’t done in a while. It was quite fun, although the cat did not approve of the laptop getting more attention than her.

If I sit on laptop you will not use it, yes?

Eventually she grudgingly settled down next to it and just swiped at me occasionally when I tried to hold down the Shift key. It was a grumpy week for both of us.

On Thursday I was feeling a bit better but I decided it’d be a good idea to stay at home instead of going into the office, so I spent a pleasant day working from the sofa. I got quite a bit done, including some work on the latest paper for the research project I’m doing with the University of South Wales. I had a midday Skype call in my pyjamas, with the cat yowling and jumping on my lap because she gets jealous when I speak to people who aren’t her, and then I spent an hour in the afternoon making a few minor changes to the paper. I think it’s shaping up to be a pretty good piece of research. I only hope the reviewers agree. Especially reviewer 2.

Friday was a pretty normal working day and I thought everything was fine, until I left the house in the afternoon and immediately felt like I was going to pass out in the street. I’m still not sure what that was about, but I think my body was probably fighting off some kind of virus. I went home and watched an amazing/terrible telenovela on Netflix. (Siempre Bruja, if you’re interested.)

And then it was the weekend, and that meant uni, which is exhausting but excellent. Challenging in a good way, but I keep having to remind myself of that when I’m sitting in a room being emotionally shipwrecked and feeling like there are shards of glass running through my veins. It’ll be worth it, though. It’s meant to be a challenge. I am repeating this to myself like a mantra, and reminding myself that I’m now halfway through, so there are only five weeks left of this hugely intense, all-day-every-weekend-day part of the course, and then there’s a five-month break before the proper MA bit starts and that’s just one day a week, so hopefully it’ll feel a bit less like being repeatedly whacked in the face by a train.

Sunday night I went and caught up with the friend I was meant to be seeing on Friday, and then on the way home I called my mother and immediately felt guilty for not calling her earlier, because she’d had a shitty weekend and broken her arm. My immediate impulse was to go home, get in my car and drive through the night to get to Blackpool by the morning and help her finish the final steps of moving house, which she’s been doing since Friday. Then I remembered that I needed to look after myself too, so I went to bed instead. I had nightmares about being a terrible person, and about accidentally being half-naked whilst serving coffee and red wine to my therapist and her important Sri Lankan visitors (nope, I have no idea where that came from either), and I woke up feeling not at all rested and really quite unravelled.

But Olivia Colman won an Oscar, and once I’d watched her acceptance speech and cried in the office a few times I was ready to tackle today. Which is finally nearing completion, and then I can go home and hopefully not dream about being half-naked in front of anybody.

Geez. It’s been a week and a half. How’s yours been?

If you’re interested, here’s what the Bohemiacademia team got up to this week.

Follow me on: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Find out more about Bohemiacademia


  1. Oh no, I’m so sorry about your mother! But I concur — put your own oxygen mask on first before helping others with theirs. Hoping your mother is able to rely on neighbors for anything she needs, though I sympathize with feeling like a terrible person. I feel like last week in general was a wringer for many of us, both physically and emotionally. Rest well!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.