Happy March! Normally I do a ceremonial ‘opening of the windows’ ritual at the end of March when spring is beginning, but we’ve had such mild weather here in London recently that I’ve already got them all open despite it only being the end of February. Actually, scrap ‘mild’, it’s been downright warm. It hit 20 degrees the other day. I feel like I’ve been cheated out of winter, but I suppose I can be happy for all the people who like the warmer weather.
Following on from my January round-up, here’s a quick overview of how things have gone in February.
Highlights of the Month
- Uni. The course is battering me with psychological realisations and proving to be challenging in the best possible way.
- Hiring someone to help with work for one of Bohemiacademia’s biggest clients.
- Being on a panel at my old high school, in which we discussed social and existential questions with the students. Talking to teenagers always brings me hope for the world.
- Finally getting the hole in the downstairs floor fixed, five years after moving into my house.
- Having some productive Skype calls with the research team and moving towards paper completion.
- Having a couple of positive meetings with the consultants at the hospital; we seem to be on our way to fixing 50% of the weird problem with the left side of my body, so that’s encouraging.
- Making some new friends.
Things That Worked Well
- Taking Tuesday mornings off. This kept happening accidentally but I think it’s a good call. I’m currently on the go seven days a week, and I can’t afford a full day off, but at least if I take Tuesday mornings off then it gives me a small chance to reset before I continue racing full pelt towards the end of March, when everything should calm down a bit.
- Singing lessons. I’d forgotten that these are good for more than just my voice. My singing teacher is fantastic and does a lot of interesting body work during the sessions, as well as being psychologically switched-on enough to intuit his students’ boundaries. I’m glad I took on a solo in the upcoming concert even though I don’t really have time, because it made me go back to singing lessons and I think that’s going to be good for my physical health. Here are the details of the concert, if you want to come along:
Things That Didn’t Work So Well
- Food this month. It was going so well in January! But there was one week when I didn’t manage to get to my favourite greengrocer’s shop to do my food shopping, and that coupled with general exhaustion from working a lot led to me making some bad food decisions for a couple of weeks. In turn that made me feel tired and physically not so good, which made me even less likely to want to walk to the greengrocer’s, etc. etc. This week I think I’ve managed to reset it, though. It reminded me of the importance of routine in my life.
- Swimming. I have not had time to go swimming at all this month, which means I’ve paid a stupid amount for a gym membership I haven’t used. However I’m going to keep it for now, and see if I get back into swimming regularly once uni finishes at the end of March, because I suspect that’ll make a big difference.
- The novel. This is suffering because there are only so many hours in a week. Realistically I think I’ll have to give it a rest for a few weeks and pick it up again after the concert is over.
This Month I Walked…
69.7 miles. A bit less than last month, but I’m not fussed about it because there’s a lot going on right now. My favourite walk was when I did the walk home from uni, which is about five miles, and stopped off at The Shed on the way, which is a very nice place to have dinner and I fully recommend it.
This Month I Swam…
Well, no. This month I did not swim.
This Month I Read…
- The Secrets You Hide by Kate Helm
- Individual Therapy: A Handbook by Windy Dryden (ed.)
- A Kind of Freedom by Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
- Nine Lives by Dan Baum
- Less by Andrew Sean Greer
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Psychotherapy and Existentialism by Viktor Frankl
- A novel which I’m not allowed to name because it’s not coming out for a while
- Your Guilty Secret by Rebecca Thornton
This Month I Watched…
- One Day at a Time season 3
- The latest episodes of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and QI
- Russian Doll
- Valentine’s Day, which was a terrible film but also quite fun
- Siempre Bruja, which I hate-loved
What have you been up to this month? How’s your February been?