I don’t have a lot of time to spend on a large update like normal, so instead here’s a brief overview of November.
This Month I Walked…
28.2 miles, which I think is probably the shortest amount of the year.
This Month I Swam…
200 metres / 0.24 miles
THIS MONTH I READ…
- Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Trevor Jones & Liz Williams ⭑⭑⭑
- ‘Hysteria: The Elusive Neurosis’ (Monograph in Psychological Issues vol. XII) by Alan Krohn ⭑⭑⭑⭑
- Hysteria: The History of a Disease by Ilza Veith ⭑⭑⭑
- Integration and Self-Healting: Affect – Trauma – Alexithymia by Henry Krystal ⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑
So, all good books this month, albeit not very many in total. I am currently mainly reading research papers, because I am writing an essay for the MA about how we view symptoms of what used to be called hysteria now that we know more about neuroscience (hence three out of four of the books above). It is absolutely fascinating and I keep discovering other exciting things I want to read while I’m reading the books I’m already reading. This is the nature of books, I find: they send you down wormholes to eternal lists of other books, and there will always be a bittersweet sadness in the fact that there are so many more books than I will ever be able to read. But I’m enjoying reading the ones I’m on at the moment.
THIS MONTH I WATCHED…
A whole bunch of stuff, mostly because my brain needed to switch off at the end of the day. I’m not going to list it all because I can’t be arsed, however the highlights were:
- The Good Place (I can’t believe it’s nearly over!)
- His Dark Materials, which I resisted for a few weeks because I was afraid it would be awful in comparison to the (excellent) books, but it turns out it’s pretty good, actually
- Various Girl with the Dragon Tattoo films. All of them, in fact: Swedish and English, plus the newest English one which is based on the first of the follow-up books by David Lagercrantz. I’m on a bit of a Lisbeth trend right now.
How was your November?